The survey on sustainability in the Nordic HEIs has gathered almost 70 responses – can we make it to a 100? 100 is actually only 20 responses per country, not that much? See below how many you are lacking from your country!
Respondent activity in the Nordic countries, (all respondents)
If we want to achieve a good picture of our sustainability performance, we need a decent sample size of the responses from the sustainability coordinators. That means minimum of 5 responses from each country. See below, if that is true in your country:
Number of responses from sustainability/environmental coordinators:
Here you can see the different responsibilities of the respondents:
Some selected findings at the moment:
Here you can read a how the Nordic HEIs have answered to some of the questions, and consider impacting the results by responding the survey! Please, ask email@example.com the link.
– Mechanisms that seem to be effective, if wanting to enhance sustainability in universities:
- National university legislation
- Sustainability included in the strategy and KPI’s
- Financial resources
- Environmental management system
- Opinions of staff and students
– Mechanisms that are not very effective:
- Nordic strategy for sustainable development
- Teaching evaluation system
- Demands an dopinions of alumni, sponsors or working life
TOP 3 mechanisms that you would use to enhance the implmentation of sustainability:
- National legislation
- Results-based steering
- National quality assurance system concerning sustainable develoment
– Almost 20% of Nordic universities are lacking sustainable development-related contents from their strategy. 30% think that the strategy concerning sustainable development is not ambitious enough.
– Staff resources and understanding on sustainability hinder the implementation of sustainable actions, whereas top management and students eneble the implementation
– Sustainable development is not embedded in the learning outcomes of our courses, and students are not obliged to take any sustainability-related studies. The teaching staff is not trained to teach sustainability-aspects.
– Research, recycling and energy efficiency are among the core issues in the Nordic HEIs, whereas biodiversity and teacher’s capabilities to teach sustainability can wait.
To be continued…..